Monday, December 24, 2012

Jeremiah 29


Jeremiah 29:11-14

11“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.14 I will be found by you”

This week I heard on talk radio how it just doesn’t “feel” like Christmas. In the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, and the conclusion of the vitriolic national and local elections, the looming fiscal cliff, and lack of snow I can certainly relate. Add to that the usual “holiday” stresses of finding the right gift for everyone, dealing with relatives that we may not get along with, even just finding time to decorate and wrap the presents soon it becomes overwhelming. And for those of us with younger children we get the added pleasure of “holiday” parties at school, and making sure there are no nuts in whatever food we send in to the party.

So where does God fit in to all this? Well if you’re not sure God tells you to “call on Him” because “he knows the plans he has for you”, plans of “hope”. If you have lost sight of God in the brightness of the Christmas lights, or wrapped up His hope with your presents, then I tell you stop; pray and seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him. And when you find Him reflect His glory in all that you do, take time love your neighbor, and pray and worship and soon you will feel the Holy Spirit filling your heart again. If you remember why we celebrate Christmas, it will start to feel like Christmas.

Matthew 1:22-23 “All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel””

Two days from now we will be opening gifts from loved ones and Christmas will be over, and we will still be enjoying the greatest gift we ever received; Jesus Christ, Immanuel, God with us. Amen.

No comments: