Sunday, April 22, 2012

In the End we Will Be Judged, not by man

Two well known Christians died this week, Chuck Colson and Voice of the Martyrs Senior Editor Tom White. I don't know much about either man and would not try to say too much about either character, or guilt in anything they may or may not have done. However just from news reports and tidbits I have heard throughout the years it seems that one was a good man who died a bad man, and the other was a bad man who became a good man.
  Tom White apparently committed suicide after being accused of molesting a little girl. Chuck Colson was a Nixon heavy hitter who spent some time in jail, and went on to be lifted up by Jesus to start a prison ministry.
  As I said I don't know much about either man, unfortunately I am sure both will be portrayed in the media in the worst possible light,  deserved or not.  Now it is really hard to say about Mr. White "but look at all the good he did' or " he really cared and loved his family" when he apparently did something so heinous as to touch a young girl. No excuse, no reason just too bad he did not ask for the forgiveness that he should have known was there for him. Personally I do believe his punishment should have been harsh, assuming his guilt, but to be a coward to not face up to it just adds to the disgrace.
 Chuck Colson on the other hand  took his disgrace and turned it, humbly, about service for God. "One of the most wonderful things about being a Christian is that I don’t ever get up in the morning and wonder if what I do matters. I live every day to the fullest because I can live it through Christ and I know no matter what I do today, I’m going to do something to advance the Kingdom of God.”— Charles Colson

 Mostly I hope the world will not just sit back and take a "sound bite" look at these men's lives and condemn Christians in general. We Christians know we are sinners, we are far from perfect, which is why we are so thankful for Jesus. Without him we have no hope, yes even for Mr. White there was hope. And in the end I will not judge either of these men for the one who paid for their sins will.  Just as I hope I will not be judged by men for being a Christian according to these men's worst moments.

No comments: